Book Review: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Ebook provided by Netgalley
Published October 11th 2011 by Ember (first published October 26th 2010) 

Book Description (from Goodreads):
“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”

So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own.

My Thoughts:

My first thoughts upon finishing reading Dash and Lily's Book of Dares? I wished I have been reading this book during Christmas holidays, when the snow is falling slowly to the ground outside, and the fire is burning in the fireplace with Christmas carols tuned in the background. But since I have taken to read this book two months in advance, only imagining was left for me. So if you have decided to read it during Christmas time (good for you!!!), try to stretch it out (if you can :D), reading only on the days dated in the book, starting with December 21st. 

For me, the storyline presented was an interesting one, with a great idea of following the travel of the red Moleskine notebook from Dash and Lily’s points of view. That made the book all the much more interesting, quick and cute read, with lots of humor. While I adored every single page of Dash’s point, I found Lily’s to be a little boring and tiring. Don’t get me wrong, I still adored reading both, only I found I could enjoy more of Dash’s character and charisma.

If you are looking for a nice read with likeable characters, I recommend you read this book. It did not prove me with anything particularly spectacular, just a look into a life of normal contemporary people who happen to live in New York (and hey, who never wanted to go to NYC for the holidays), but if you are expecting a story with a certain message or a deep impression, you will not get one. Even though I like the idea of the red notebook, I still find it hard to believe that anyone would just leave it out there on a shelf for just anybody to find it. You have to be very lucky to have it happen with a dashing guy named Dashiell or else you would just end up with a complete creep. But that’s the reason we read books like this one. To make us believe, right? Hope that there is something beautiful happening at least to someone. So yes, that is the reason I liked reading this book so much. On the other hand, there are also some really fun situations that will make your belly hurt from laughing so hard. So yes, again, you should read it.

All said, I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I did, and lose yourself in a modern day fairytale, because we all need it sometimes.

Links to the authors:
Rachel Cohn
David Levithan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY FOUR - REDNECK RODEO by Lorelei James RELEASE PARTY

Early Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Blog Tour: Barbie Girl by Heidi Acosta