Notification

I regret giving you all wonderful readers and authors this notice, but for the time being I am unable to keep this blog going.

Until further notice, have fun everyone and read a lot of great books ;)

Maja @ The Rambling Readerista

Friday, January 25, 2013

Early Review: Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks

Source: Uncorrected Proof received from Edelweiss
Publication: March 19th 2013 by Ballantine Books

Book Description (from Goodreads):

In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.

Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.

Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.

My Thoughts:
Highlander Most Wanted did not catch my attention like Never Seduce a Scot, first in the trilogy. Yes, I have enjoyed reading the book, but it did not leave me absolutely speechless. The storyline picks up where the first book ended, taking over the McHugh keep and correcting the wrongs of the keep. Bowen Montgomery is sent to do the job, but what he does not expect is to find love.

I had very little love for Genevieve at the beginning, but she proved to me through the book. At first I thought her to be very self-centered and think only about herself, but later my opinion changed and I ended up admiring her character. And Bowen? He is one of those characters you cannot not love. The story is enjoyable, the characters are tortured (again! :D), but there is again (and this is not a good one again) the malicious behavior of the keep toward a female character and that just feels a little copied for me.

Genevieve has had a lot bad experiences in her life, so that resulted in trust issues, but as you can guess, that’s when Bowen comes in. But seeing the life through her eyes, it made me want to cry with her and for her. I love that Maya Banks shows all those rough and awful aspects of her characters. It makes them all the more believable and likeable. My one remark to the storyline is how the pair of them got together; it is unbelievable to me because after an event she just went through it does not seem possible. But eventually, they got their happy endings which I am utterly grateful for. You just have to believe, you know?  

I think that the Highlander Most Wanted is an enjoyable story but not one that kept me in a WOW-effect, and usually for me is disappointing because I love the WOW-effect. As usual, I have loved Maya Banks writing, she merges the threads in a story of love against all odds (sometimes, even against the characters themselves) in a beautifully captivating book.

Links to the author:




No comments:

Post a Comment