Early Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry


Dare You To
Katie McGarry
Series: Pushing the Limits #2 (my review of book one)
Genre: young/new adult / contemporary / romance
Publication date: June 7th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
(first published May 28th 2013)
Book Site: Goodreads
Author Links: websiteGoodreads, Facebook, Twitter.
Source: NetGalley *ARC*

Book Description:
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....
 

My Thoughts:


Beth captured me from the first point when we meet her in Pushing the Limits. She is one of those characters you just have to read more about. Hopefully, McGarry will continue in that tone when it comes to the third book in the series also.

So. Yep. Right. What to say? It is not easy to organize your thoughts after a book like this one. I am not sure whether I liked or hated it the whole time I was reading the book but taking everything into consideration I cannot help but adore this book even more than I did Pushing the Limits. Oh, and thank you McGarry for giving us a little glimpse in Noah and Echo. We loved it, even though it’s not enough. But thank you, nonetheless.

As for Beth’s book. I have wanted to read into her story because she seemed as a character that would provide me with an almost real life experience. And I was right. Even though the characters of Pushing the Limits series are still in high school, and I am not, I still enjoyed reading these books. Also, these books seem kind of mature for what I have come to experience as I high school student and do not believe that in the last five years people in high school have changed that much. Maybe it is just me, and the influence of people around me, but these characters seem older in their heart than they should be. But, on the other hand, I can relate to the story because for my time, I have always felt a lot older than the people my age. And it’s still so, it would seem.

Now, I have developed such compassion for Beth’s character even though at times I wanted to kick her ass.  Keeping that in mind, I have complete understanding for Beth and her actions, because even though I did not have a crappy childhood and such disappointments as she, I still have hard time trusting in people. It is hard to let anyone in and trust them with your heart and their ability for once in your life be there when you need them.  And I am glad Beth found that in someone, two someones, actually. Yep, next to meeting a great guy for Beth, we get a huge amount of glimpses of Isaiah. And let me say this, and I am saying this just once, my heart broke for this guy. Ryan is a good guy who at first glimpse has it all, but he really goes out of his way and fights for what he wants. Considering Isaiah, it was hard to keep on reading this book and not hurl it across the room, but I had to remember I was reading it on my laptop and that just wouldn’t do. Now, I don’t want to give away anything when it comes to Isaiah but I can just say that he gets his own someone special who he will want to stop the Earth for. On the other hand, that is something I hold a grudge against. There were points during the length of novel that I had a feeling that she did not share Ryan’s feelings even though I understand now that she was just scared. Thankfully, she surpassed that phase ;). 

Well, what more can I say? I have absolutely loved reading Dare You To and cannot wait for Crash Into You, Isaiah’s book release day. Have you read these books? Didn’t, what are you waiting for then? Go, pick it up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY FOUR - REDNECK RODEO by Lorelei James RELEASE PARTY

Book Review: Nauti Temptress by Lora Leigh

Book Review: Secret Vampire by L. J. Smith